Thursday, August 11, 2011

For The Boys

Last night I was listing advantages of being more round versus being more angular.  Underneath the 'Angular' column, just below the advantage of "Everyone offers you cake", I listed the following:

You don't get into a bar fight when some muscular man calls you a "fat bitch",
because you know it's not true.  You would be able to laugh it off without
throwing two punches and getting dragged around the bar by him with
your best friend smashed between you.  This promptly followed by
crying in the pool room before leaving out of humiliation.

Now, before you write me off as "Little Miss White-Trash", let me explain where I'm going with this.
There is a Thank You letter that I've always wanted to write, but never have.  It is about time that I do.  It is addressed to all of my male classmates at Henry Park Elementary School.

To the Little Boys I Once Knew:
I was a chubby little girl, probably most of you remember.  I was often among the tallest in the class as well.  I didn't have any brothers or sisters to prepare me for bullying before I arrived at the double doors of the school.  I learned fast that if I was to survive elementary as a chubby little girl I needed to equip myself with a tough mentality, try to give it my all in gym class, and laugh things off.  (Thankfully my Mom and Dad helped me out with the last one - THANK YOU!)

I felt awkward about my size compared to the other girls...but who wouldn't when some of your best friends were half your size during such formative years?  I could have been a more than easy target for bullying...in fact of all places, I was bullied in dance class.  But anyway, you somehow taught me to "toughen up" when we would spar with each other on the blacktop.  Suddenly, I didn't have "cooties" and I remember being the only girl during indoor recess that you would allow to play with your matchbox cars.  It extended to gym class and outside recesses too.  Instead of having to play "Cheerleader", you let me play soccer with you.  I still remember one day that I actually scored a point for the team - it was a HUGE day that I'll never forget.  You all were so amazed and cheered me on with high fives and excited screams.

You taught me how to kick, how to punch, and how to stick up for myself.  I wore my heart on my sleeve, but you never made fun of me for that.  Instead, you'd politely ignore it to let me calm down, or make me laugh.  This definitely all extends to my male cousins as well, and I thank you for never making me feel left out as we played football, baseball, or paper airplanes.

You were all teachers for me, and thanks to you I saved $40 and my car title one night when some man tried to mug me when I was a poor college student.  Thanks to your expert training, I ended up fighting him off and running after him! hahaha!  You taught me how to be a single lady having to defend my own honor.  I realize that the story at the top was not my finest hour, and I should have used my humor instead, but at least I wasn't afraid just because he was a full-grown man.  Fortunately, it was an extremely rare incident as I am extremely opposed to solving anything through violence.  I definitely learned my lesson that night due to my embarrassment.

What you taught that chubby little girl extends far beyond these two stories, and I am grateful to have shared a childhood with you.  I always knew you as accepting, fun, and loyal.  I often wonder about you all and how you are doing.  I see how some of your families have grown through photos on facebook, or by talking with mutual friends.  Some of you continue to make me laugh through conversations or postings, and there are some of you that I have no idea where you are.  Hopefully you will find this at one point or another, and know that you made a difference to my life.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Krystal, aka Stella, aka Stally, aka KB

PS  In this way, being chubby was a blessing.  How messed up is that? LOL

No comments: